Monday, September 14, 2009

Random Thought: Heroes & Morality

Most of my thoughts tend to come out at night, more specifically about five minute after I shut my eyes. I don't know why it is that my neurons start firing after I've officially declared myself dead to the world. Maybe God has a very dry sense of humor.

At any rate I was thinking about the NBC show Heroes. If the law of the land says you must help a person in danger as long as you don't harm yourself (the good Samaritan law) then would that make someone like Claire, who can never get injured, responsible for all the lives she physically reach in time? Or if Hiro can teleport anyplace in the world is he responsible for the lives of starving people in Africa? (My apologises Africa. I realize people on other continents are starving as well but you still sound the most cliche.) If you can save someone but chose not too are you accountable for their life? Let's say that Nathan ignores an obviously distressed person stuck on a roof in New Orleans because he has to get to a meeting. If that person dies, does that make him responsible? Should he be held to the good Samaritan standard just because of his abilities?

It's tricky, yes, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment