Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Heroes: Season 4 The Plot Holes Have Spring a Leak

This new season of Heroes is starting to worry me a bit.

I have two major areas of concern:
They are spending too much time on Claire, there is not enough character development and the series is not focused enough.

Three! I have three major areas of concern.

BTW - If you didn't get that, stop reading this and go watch Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition sketch, now.

Spoiler Warning

Concern 1: They are spending too much unnecessary time with Claire. The entire restaurant scene last night was a perfect example. What did we learn? Only that Claire wants to take control of her life and not have her dad helping her. Don't tell me, show me. All this extra time with Claire feels tacked on and lessens the importance of her characters. I love Claire and I find myself saying, "ugh another stupid Claire scene. Who cares?"

Concern 2: There is not enough character development lately. Again, last night during Matt Parkman's dialogue with Sylar the topic of love came up and Daphne wasn't even mentioned. That really lessened the reality of the character for me. It's very hard for me to exist in that world for that hour, so to speak, when they actions of the characters feels contrived. Like a plot point just to illustrate another facet. Did Matt really love her? Show me that. All I see is him flipping through women every time his circumstances change. And not just Greg's character. It seems circumstances change for all of them but they never seem to change. It feels like every season takes place in parallel dimension.

Concern 3: Because of issue one and two the series is starting to feel loose. The longer the series runs the more the plot holes start to leak. The characters are not as strong as they once were because the story doesn't give them a chance to grow, to learn, to change and the unnecessary concentration on nothing just emphasizes this. I love Heroes but unless they run a tighter ship this show is going to sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment