Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Am a Sonic Fan

I was looking for a specific piece of Sonic fanart the other day. I knew who the artist was, so I went to their website. To my surprise, it was closed. I followed a link to their new site looking for the Sonic images but the artist had not posted them. When I asked why, they told me that they were not a fan anymore. They said fans have a reputation for being aggressive, obsessed and detached from reality. They didn’t want to be associated with those types of people. They were ashamed of being a Sonic fan.

I had never heard this before. After all, I am a Sonic fan and I have never been ashamed of it. This made me curious and I started to look around.

As I went through the internet, fiction sites, Tumblr posts, chat rooms, forums and D.A. accounts, I saw a small slice of what this artist was talking about. I read all kinds of heated arguments such as, Sonic should be with Amy/Sally, the older/newer games are the best or even what makes you a “real” fan.

I am not going to get into an argument about the “best” way to prove a true fan or who Sonic should be dating. I want to address this increasingly prevalent ”hush hush, don’t say you like Sonic” aspect of the fandom.

When I question people about why they feel embarrassed, I always get the same answer, “the fans are crazy.” Are they? I suspect the majority of Sonic fans are probably not the vocal ones. The first Sonic game was released in 1991. The fans who were 10 back then are over 30 now. I can’t provide numbers, but logic would dictate that these fans are not the ones perpetuating the nit-picky arguments, the personal attacks and the obsessive need to prove you are the “biggest” fan.

So, if we rule out the majority of the early fans, then who are these so called “crazies” that Sonic fans are ashamed of? Is it the younger fans?

No, it’s not. While age has a lot to do with one’s maturity level, it does not automatically dictate how one will behave. Most of these “crazy” fans might be younger but they are not argumentative, closed minded and immature because they are younger. Younger fans, simply by virtue of not being born early enough to play the first few games, get a lot of heat. They are often accused of not being “real fans.” That is a terrible thing to say to someone and it’s an incorrect mindset. How long someone has liked something does not indicate how strongly they enjoy it. Yes, they may have missed out on the “feel” of the early years but the older fans can’t appreciate the “feel” of the newer years. Both are valid.

But I digress… if it’s not the early fans and it’s not automatically the younger fans then who are these people that, quite literally, make others feel ashamed?

The answer is simple. Sonic is a huge (and I mean huge) fandom which encompasses millions of people. Within those millions there are going to be some individuals who are disrespectful, closed minded, argumentative and mean spirited. My point is this: these people are going to be disrespectful, closed minded, etc. whether they are Sonic fans or not. Why should I (or you) let these people flavor the fandom as a whole? Why should they ruin everything that is good? Why should I personalize, internalize and feel shame because someone I never met is a badly behaved? Would you feel shame if someone cut in front of you at the ticket counter? Would you feel ashamed if some ass-wipe stole your parking space? Would you feel ashamed if some idiot was berating an innocent waitress? I doubt it. So why let those same people take away something you love? Why is it when someone is a fan the behavior of any other fan automatically reflects on everyone. Anyone who would honestly pass judgment on a stranger because some people who share that fan base act like idiots, needs to re-examine their ideals.

I do not speak of this lightly. I know how it feels. I was a fan of anime/manga back when you had to be 18 to buy Urusei Yatsura on VHS. Back when the first Vampire Hunter D film was considered “cutting edge.” Back before there was Tokyopop, Funimation or even Viz. I know what it feels like to be lumped into a stereotype, to be attacked on a personal level because of someone else’s misconception. People assumed, and some still do, that I am an unwashed, obsessive, overweight, male otaku who masturbates to big breasted “cartoon” school girls. Those people are very surprised when I tell them I am an out-going, 30 something, female graphic designer who loves to cook.

To all those fans who back away from something because it embarrasses them or because they are afraid of what others think, I implore you, stand up. Stand up and be proud. If every respectful, understanding, mature person admit to being a fan then people would say, “gosh, Sonic fans are great.” But when you back away then all people see are the crazies. The loud ones. The ones who don’t care. Do you want their behavior to dictate the image of a Sonic fan?

After all, I am a Sonic fan.

Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment