Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Shallow Introspections

I am one of those people that can have deep introspective insights and yet manage to remain completely shallow.

For example, I was thinking the other day about fandoms, more specifically my favorite characters. Other than just saying, "well, I like him/her best" I started to ask myself, why? Why do I like this individual, this personality, over another? Then I realized something. The characters, personas and personalities I am attracted to are either 1) people that are like myself, or 2) people that have a trait that I desire to emulate.

Take Spock from Star Trek. At a first glance, you would think that Spock is quite possibly the complete anti-thesis of me. He is quiet, reserved and analytical while I am much more like Scotty or Captain Kirk. The more I thought about it however, I realized that there are some core facets of Spock that are identical to mine. For example, Spock is stuck between two worlds, Vulcan and human, so to speak. Like him, I am stuck between two very different cultures, Turkish and American. The various cultures have extremely different values and sometimes it is very difficult to balance them.

On the other hand we have characters that I wish I could be more like, Orphen, Black Jack, Sherlock Holmes, Utena, Haruka, Lina Inverse, etc. These characters are always effortlessly "cool" while managing to also be intelligent, spirited and deep. Of course, when you don't have to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom it's easy to be perfect.

What about you? Why do you like the personalities you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment